ComSoc Community
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 11:39:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Beginners SIG - GNU/Linux  (Read 1860 times)
fpirrone
Jr. Poster

« on: October 30, 2009, 09:33:40 PM »

Greetings everyone!

Here are some topics/areas that might be useful and interesting for newcomers to the wonderful world of Linux:

choosing a Linux distribution
distro installs
transferring personal data
installing applications
performing upgrades
setting up repositories
various configuration tools and procedures
important applications
major cross-platform apps
productivity - office, authoring, editing
multimedia - audio, video, graphics
compiling applications from source
popular desktop environments
the GUI and the "WIMPs"
the CLI and the "Unix way"
shells, BASH
BASH built-ins
Unix/GNU utilities
scripting
a survey of filesystems
file permissions
a look behind-the-scenes
modules and shared objects
programming techniques
programming languages
setting up and using server processes
security
backups
WINE

...and there are many more.  I have a rough idea of how to plow a path through the more key items above, but I'd love to hear from anyone planning to participate in this SIG, or anyone with experience and an opinion, about any topics you'd like to see covered, and any priority for exploring them.

Thanks!

Frank
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 05:28:41 PM by fpirrone » Logged
jheart
Trustee
Sr. Poster

Go ComSoc!

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 03:09:32 PM »

Welcome to WNY Comsoc. I personally would like to learn more about using the command line in terminal to run applications.

Jerry
Mandrake18659
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 05:53:22 AM »

Hi, Frank
I now have an account with ComSoc, I'll see at the first Linux Beginners SIG.
Do I need to bring anything?

Ron Maggio
fpirrone
Jr. Poster

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 05:16:22 PM »

Hey Ron,

Okay, buddy, looking forward to it.  I hope we have a critical mass of beginners as well as a nice mix of experience and interests.  If so, there should be something for everyone in this SIG.  For the benefit of anyone who might read this, allow me to muse a bit:

I got my first computer in May of 1980 - the spring of my first year teaching (went on to teach science grades 7-10 for 20 years and capped my career with the final 10 years as district technology coordinator/technology integrator, retiring a year ago), an Atari 800.  Everything was wide open - I had ROM listings for all the support chips, languages, etc.  De Re Atari, by Chris Crawford, etc. 

Anyway, with the ascent of the PC I found myself wandering in the Windows Wilderness, only partly aware of how restricted and restrictive everything had become.  Then...when I discovered GNU/Linux in 1998, it was like I was released from prison, and like coming home to the openness and freedom to explore, and play, that I had almost taken for granted way back at the "beginning."

So, to anyone else about to embark on a similar journey, I share your excitement, and am acutely aware of the adventure you're about to experience.

Realize, it's not at all about Linux vs. Windows and Mac OS, or free software and free beer.  It's ALL about Freedom.  Complete openness and empowerment.  The Freedom to go wherever your curiosity and commitment take you.  And, should you discover something that's just too great to keep to yourself...the Freedom to share.

Frank
fpirrone
Jr. Poster

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 05:29:00 PM »

Oops, failed to respond to Ron's question:  No, no need to bring anything but your curiosity and comments and questions.  Feel free to bring a computer - laptop OR desktop if you're up to lugging, or should I say LUGging, one.  I hope to do a lot of sharing and show-and-telling.  Exploring is the way to learn, and is always more enjoyable than hearing,,,
Mandrake18659
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 08:33:42 AM »

Hi, Frank
I searched DistroWatch.com for the flavors you showed us, and I found the following I was interested in using on my desktops.
Mint 7
I found out that Mint 7 is available in both Gnome as well as KDE4. One interesting thing though is that Mint 7 in the KDE4 desktop is a little over a gig. I burned it to a DVD, now to install:)

I already had downloaded Mandriva 2010 in both Gnome & KDE4, I have used 2009 and am moving on to 2010.

The last flavor I downloaded is PCLinuxOS 2009-2 in both the Gnome & KDE4 desktop, I have used it a few versions back and am very interested to try it again.

Question what is your opinion of gOS from Google? I know its based on Debian / Ubuntu and has the Gnome desktop, but is it worth playing with?

Thanks, Ron:)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 05:58:05 AM by Mandrake18659 » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
ComSoc Community  |  SIG Boards  |  Linux SIG  |  Topic: Beginners SIG - GNU/Linux
Jump to:  

Navigation
» News » Meeting Location » Links » FAQs

Become a member of ComSoc today! Use our Online Membership Application.

Recent Topics

Users Online
10 Guests, 0 Users

[Site Statistics]

The WNY Computer Society
is a proud member of
apcug logo

O'Reilly Logo

Informit

Adobe Reader Get Firefox Get Thunderbird Get AVG Ubuntu Kubuntu

Registration Agreement

© 1998-2014, WNY Computer Society, All Rights Reserved
Site hosted, designed & custom programmed by CKN Energy Services Inc..
Email Spam Filtration by MX Guarddog.