ComSoc Community

Users helping users!

In Memory of Jacques "Jack" Berlin
General Meeting Oct 22, 2019 Amherst Audubon Library   

MS Office 2003 and AVG antivirus
Read 4792 times
February 26, 2007, 12:53:39 pm
Just wondering if anyone out there has come across a problem of this type.

My wife Corrine works at UB, and because they have a licensing program setup with Microsoft, we were able to download a copy of MS Office 2003 for use on her home computers. I d/led it and installed it on our laptop and on her desktop machine here at home. The laptop has XP home edition installed along with AVG antivirus which are both kept up to date through the internet. Office works fine on that machine.  The desktop machine has the XP Pro edition installed which is also totally up to date. It also had the AVG installed but that was causing a problem with Word, and possible other parts of Office. Whenever we tried opening any Word document, or any text file, it would cause an error in Word saying that the file was infected with a virus or that the installed antivirus program possibly was not updated completely.

I tried uninstalling separately both Office 2003 and AVG and reinstalling them both at separate times in different orders of installation time and could not get the problem fixed. Finally I uninstalled AVG and downloaded the current version of AVAST antivirus and set that up and now Word and the rest of Office seems to work fine.

I am not sure if this is some kind of bug in the Home Ed. of XP or a file on this machine is corrupted or if there is some kind of bug in AVG. I got tired of playing with it, but should probably report the problem to MS and possibly Grisoft. I just thought it might be something that someone else has come across here, though.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 12:55:55 pm by MrDonK! »

MrDonK! (aka Don Koepf, ComSoc Trustee)

No matter where you go, there you are.

* February 26, 2007, 02:40:48 pm
If MS Office 2003 works fine with AVG on one machine but not the other I would susspect the problem is with something that is installed on that particular computer and it is more than likely a shared file or a file that Windows XP Pro has locked so it can not be overwritten by the installation program. You made the correct decision to change anit-virus programs and seeing as it works you are ahead of the game.

cya l8r

Ed.

February 26, 2007, 03:05:51 pm
Well I am at least happy for the moment that it is working and so is Corrine since she hates typing on the keyboard on the laptop. Avast seem to work well so far.

* February 26, 2007, 05:40:53 pm
Hi DonK!, Solution to not like typing on a laptop is to plug an external keyboard into the PS/2 port on the back they work wonderfully.

February 27, 2007, 04:00:25 pm
Most of the newer laptops out there today don't have ps2 ports on the back. I would have to be USB and I have never bothered to get one yet since they usually won't work until the OS is loaded.
It doesn't really matter too much anyway since Word is now working on the desktop machine.