ComSoc Community

Users helping users!

In Memory of Jacques "Jack" Berlin
General Meeting Dec 17, 2019 Amherst Audubon Library (Due to Christmas Eve)   

Latest Greatest Free Antivirus etc. For Win 7?
Read 2414 times
* November 22, 2011, 01:19:02 am
I'm *finally* doing my first Window 7 (64-bit) Setup.  Right now, it's a native (normal) install, but I'm going to put it in a vm asap.

What are the latest, greatest, *free*  apps that I "have to" install on it?

At minimum, I need an antivirus and probably an anti all other malware app.  I'll skip the firewall and use the one from windows temporarily.  Once it's a vm Linux will provide the firewall.

I used to use avg free until they came out with the release (around a year ago) that killed system performance.  Have they mended their ways since then?

I know I'll need revo uninstaller.

On native Windows, I loved System Suite 9 from Avanquest (Vcom), but 90% of it doesn't work in a vm.  The feature I really miss was  a program that detected new installs and offered to make standard and enhanced checkpoint/restore points.  It saved me several times from bungled installs and once from a virus/malware thingy.  (Yes, even I fell for the dolphin screen saver.)  Is there anything like that available?  I'd probably pay money for that!

The other thing I know I'm going to install is Powerdesk 8.  I already bought it.  It's a religious thing - I've been using PD for around 12 years and can't live without it.  (And, after an extremely rocky start on Win 7, I think it finally works right again.)  It's a replacement for Windows Explorer and also does a lot more.  I've spent a lot of time on their forum and there are a bunch of other users like me who have used it for more than a decade.

Just as background - as usual - I'll be doing everything I can in Linux.  The Win 7 vm is going to be used for things like Dragon Naturally Speaking Preferred, maybe a scanner program like Omnipage, and anything else I have to have that won't run on Linux.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

TIA

Joe