ComSoc Community

Users helping users!

In Memory of Jacques "Jack" Berlin
General Meeting July 23, 2019 Amherst Audubon Library   

Microsoft Windows 8
Read 3633 times
* May 31, 2012, 08:00:55 am
Be the first to try it out. Microsoft will be using information from this Preview release for users to make the final product even better. Microsoft strongly recommend that only experienced PC users download Windows 8 Release Preview. They suggest you review the following to determine if this trial version is correct for you:

Important considerations before you try the Windows 8 Preview edition:
>  You like to use the latest software and enjoy experimenting with new technology.
>  You're comfortable backing up a PC, formatting a hard drive, and installing an operating system from scratch.
>  You feel comfortable troubleshooting PC problems yourself.
>  You don't mind updating software frequently.
>You must have installation or recovery media knowledge to restore your previous operating system after you're done testing Windows 8 Release Preview.    You CANNOT UNINSTALL the Preview Release.

Windows 8 Consumer Preview FAQ's:    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/faq

System Requirements (Windows 8 Consumer Preview works great on the same hardware that powers Windows 7)
Processor:    1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster
RAM:    1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
Hard disk space:    16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
Graphics card:    Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device or higher

(To use touch, you need a tablet or monitor that supports multitouch
For access to Windows Store and to download and run apps, you need an
active Internet connection and a screen resolution of at least 1024 x 768
)

Download Windows 8 Preview here;
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/download
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 02:06:41 pm by Mr.Victor »

* July 08, 2012, 02:50:29 pm
I'm sure you know by now, but from what I've read, this preview cannot be uninstalled, so put it on a clean machine or be prepared to do a full restore to get your working system back later.

* July 08, 2012, 09:27:38 pm
Yes, I knew that it could not be uninstalled and it was listed in my "Important Considerations" section. Since it is a very good point to make it crystal clear to everyone, I highlighted this in Yellow.

Thank you for that important catch !

John V.