ComSoc Community

Users helping users!

In Memory of Jacques "Jack" Berlin
General Meeting Aug 27, 2019 Amherst Audubon Library   

Next Linux SIG
Read 6924 times
* May 17, 2007, 07:13:22 pm
I was wondering what the topic was going to be at the next Linux SIG? 

I just installed SimplyMEPIS on a PII  400 MHz system and the cd-rom drive keeps opening and closing all by itself every once and a while, I think this computer is haunted either that or I keep hitting the SysRq key.

cya l8r

Ed.

May 17, 2007, 07:40:03 pm
/me

<3 Mepis.

Warren's done a fantastic job with it, for a desktop system. :D

* May 17, 2007, 08:05:37 pm
I have tried several of the different Linux OS's and so far this one seems good. THe only real problem is the sound does not work but I will figure it out. Got to get the error message first.

Gotta scoot

cya l8r

Ed.

May 18, 2007, 07:18:04 pm
I also like CentOS for a server, but that's me.

It's basically RHEL without the update subscription fee. Granted, Mepis is debian based, but whatever works for the job at hand.

* May 18, 2007, 07:47:59 pm
I recently inherited an old P II 400 MHz and this is what MEPIS is running on and it is not bad but one thing the sound did not work at all. To fix it all I did was to replace the old ISA sound card with a Sound Blaster PCI card and booted back up and I have all of the sound that I want. I know that picking up all of those computers off the curb is a good thing just look at all of the recycling I accomplish.

See you later I gotta go watch Friday night wrestling.

May 26, 2007, 11:07:04 pm
Hmm, does that mean you're going to be attending the Linux SIG meetings now Ed?  I thought you'd never install linux.
As for the next linux sig topic.... I'm not quite sure.  We're kind of in a stand still at the moment.  I wasn't able to make the last meeting myself, the clubs laptop won't access the internet via mepis and the wireless connection yet and my laptop is not up to snuff with mepis (yet anyway).
I was running through a bunch of howto type stuff at the meeting in April, but had some problems with my laptop at the meeting, so that didn't get too far.
Guess I need to try and get some research and setup done so things can continue.  I know there are a few people interested in trying to use mepis on their everyday machines.
I'll do my best, but I can't promise anything at this point.

CrazyC!    (aka Chris Koepf)

* May 27, 2007, 03:18:58 pm
I was thinking seeing as I inherited the old SIG computer and decided to put it to good use and installed SimplyMEPIS on it that I might grace the Linux SIG so I could learn from an expert.

As for meetings that things do not go right they are I find the best ones to be at, it seems that you learn more from things that do not appear to go right than otherwise, believe me I have had a few meetings that way that I have run.

Don't worry be happy all we can do is harass you onward.  ;D ;D