ComSoc Community

Users helping users!

In Memory of Jacques "Jack" Berlin  Website is back online. 
General Meeting March 26 , 2019 Amherst Audubon Library   

Firewall and Antivirus for old notebook (win 98)
Read 7410 times
* June 23, 2008, 10:14:37 pm
Hi.  I just got a cheap notebook - very old.  It's a Celeron running Win 98 (until I convert it to Linux - hopefully.)  (Sony Vaio PCG-N505VE 333MHz, 128MB Ram, 6GB HDD)

I need it to be able to access the Internet, so it needs antivirus and firewall.

What's available that is up to date with protection?

Notes:

I got Zone Alarm running, but installed it from a very old file and it won't do any updates - it's better than nothing for starters.

I have Avg working on my other 98 desktop, but it was updated regularly - including program updates.  When I tried to install it on my notebook from the old install file, it installs, but dies during update on bad control file.  They've probably changed the format of the file many times since this version.

TIA

Joe

* June 24, 2008, 04:58:32 pm
Hi Joe, Try this site it might have just what you need....

http://www.oldapps.com/

Happy hunting. ;D

* June 24, 2008, 08:56:20 pm
 :D That's exactly what I was looking for.  I've got several downloading now and will see what works best.

Thanks a lot.

Joe

* June 24, 2008, 10:16:55 pm
Alright glad I helped and we missed you at the general meeting tonight we did a presentation on Linux comparing it to Windows

cya l8r

Ed.

* June 25, 2008, 12:59:41 pm
Darn.  I was planning to come, but just couldn't make it.

I've got avg and zonealarm working (sort of).  avg complained about not understanding some of the new virus definitions and zonealarm won't do any updates.  So the system is semi-secure (not exactly warm and fuzzy.)

I am currently downloading puppy linux and I may also try debian etch.  Both look like they will work, but we'll see who detects what hardware ....

I have a spare hd from my demised winbook.  Once I remove anything useful from it, I'm going to try to swap it for the drive in the Sony.  If that works, I can leave the windows system intact and working while developing the linux  install on a separate drive.  That way the system will remain usable.

What I'm not clear on yet is how to get Linux on the HD to start with.  I don't know if the Sony will boot from the weird pci card cdrom drive it has.  It probably will, but we'll see.

Joe

* June 25, 2008, 01:43:01 pm
Hi Joe, Why not try xubuntu. Located at this link:

http://www.xubuntu.org/get

* June 25, 2008, 07:44:51 pm
Great idea, but I only have 128MB ram - it won't run or install in that.

Joe

* June 25, 2008, 08:01:37 pm
To run the Desktop CD (LiveCD + Install CD), you need 128 MB RAM to run or 192 MB RAM to install. The Alternate Install CD only requires you to have 64 MB RAM.

Then get the alternate install cd and you should be all set.  ;D