ComSoc Community

Users helping users!

In Memory of Jacques "Jack" Berlin  Website is back online. 
General Meeting March 26 , 2019 Amherst Audubon Library   

Print to file in 98 and XP
Read 6786 times
* September 21, 2008, 02:42:08 pm
When I'm researching something on the web or doing a project, I often want to gather up everything I want to print and then send it to the printer as a at the end so I'm not distracted from the task at hand.

Almost all print dialogs have a Print To File option so that I can put all the printed output on disk - say in an empty directory that will serve as a manual print queue.

I haven't tried it recently, but in the past, once I printed a file to disk, I couldn't figure out how to send it to the printer.  How do I do that?

Is there a way to review the printed output file on the screen?

(All of this works dandy in Linux, but when I'm in Windows 98 or XP, I don't know how to do it.)

I could print to PDF from some applications, but that isn't really what I'm looking for.  I'd have to load each file into a PDF viewer and the go through all the print dialogs all over again.

I could just disconnect the printer or set it to offline somehow, but that's not what I want to do either.

I especially like being able to look things over and change my mind about what to print.  Lots of times, I forget to select Print Selection and need to catch it before I print 10 pages instead of one paragraph and sometimes I can see that that a print job is 50 pages long and I really need to think twice before I print it.

TIA

Joe

* September 21, 2008, 09:50:11 pm
Hi Joe, Here is an article that shows what you want to do and how to print the file you printed to disk:   >:D

http://www.mrkent.com/forms/tools/prntofile.htm

Have fun....

cya l8r

Ed.

* September 21, 2008, 11:56:51 pm
I think I missed the /b parameter when I tried this in the past (duh!!). 

Both of my new printers are USB and it says it won't work for them for some reason - probably they're not identified by LPT1.  How do I get to them?  It seems like a simple program would do if there's not a command for it.

Joe

* September 22, 2008, 12:01:17 am
I just downloaded dos2usb.  I think it addresses the last problem.  It may be awhile till I try it.

* September 22, 2008, 07:52:49 am
I think I missed the /b parameter when I tried this in the past (duh!!). 

Both of my new printers are USB and it says it won't work for them for some reason - probably they're not identified by LPT1.  How do I get to them?  It seems like a simple program would do if there's not a command for it.

Joe

USB printers do not use LPT1 ports since they are USB. The Windows 98 does it have second edition upgrade installed?
You ned Second edition for USB to work properly.

* September 23, 2008, 04:13:24 pm
Yes.  It's 98se with a lot, but not all updates applied.
I figured that lpt1 wouldn't work.
Is there some easy way around that or dos2usb the way to go?

* September 23, 2008, 05:44:37 pm
The usual way is to instal the drivers with out the USB device plugged in and when the computer either asks for the device to be plugged in or the computer reboots plug the device into the USB port then windows should finish the installation.