ComSoc Community

Users helping users!

In Memory of Jacques "Jack" Berlin
General Meeting July 23, 2019 Amherst Audubon Library   

MagicJack presentation/demo
Read 9424 times
November 05, 2009, 10:31:01 pm
Hello all,

Jack Berlin is going to be out of town for the November General Meeting and I was thinking about trying to do a presentation and/or demonstration on MagicJack. This is the dongle VOIP real telephone connection that can be used on a PC or Mac with most any broadband connection. 

I don't have one of these yet, but I am thinking about getting one soon and thought it might be interesting to show or demo at the meeting. Not sure if it will work for sure through the UB wi-fi system but I am sure we could at least try it out. Another possibility would be to connect to the internet using a Cellular wireless data card and hookup that way.

Does anyone have any opinions on this idea???

Don Koepf

MrDonK! (aka Don Koepf, ComSoc Trustee)

No matter where you go, there you are.

* November 06, 2009, 01:56:27 am
VOIP is cool, Don.  Messed around with MagicJack on a friends system and it worked well.  She eventually went with Vonage.  My sons and I keep in touch via, initially iChat, then Skype, and now ooVoo, and they are all very cool too.  Our 3-way video chats via DSL and FiOS are low-latency, real-time, and all synched up...

Frank

November 06, 2009, 10:25:29 am
We could try it at the windows or internet sig ahead of time.  I'm not sure what you need to demo ???? I'll check the web for info/demos.

Relic (aka Mike Burton)

November 08, 2009, 05:07:56 pm
Sounds like an interesting subject to me. I am sure that it would be of interest to a lot of the other members. BTW, Skype worked on the UB System so maybe MagicJack would work.

Jerry
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 05:15:11 pm by jheart »

November 17, 2009, 12:33:31 pm
Well guys, I have my MagicJack and it works fine. I will bring it tonight to the Internet sig and try it out at UB to verify it works. I will bring a wired phone and a wireless phone to try it on along with my laptop, just iin case someone should object to the software being installed on the club laptop. See you then!

Don

MrDonK! (aka Don Koepf, ComSoc Trustee)

No matter where you go, there you are.