ComSoc Community

Users helping users!

In Memory of Jacques "Jack" Berlin  Website is back online. 
General Meeting March 25 , 2019 Amherst Audubon Library   

SDHC card
Read 6791 times
February 09, 2010, 06:07:58 pm
My computers won't read my Sandisk 8 GiG SDHC card. I'm using a card reader inserted into USB 2.0. Both computers are P4's with XP pro with service pack 3 and Ubuntu 9.10 as OS's. I've also tried the card slot on my HP printer. Any suggestions ????

Relic (aka Mike Burton)

February 09, 2010, 07:48:14 pm
Relic,
You probably need to find a card reader that is not a RELIC! A lot of the older ones won't read more than a 2 or maybe a 4 gb card.  I am not 100% sure but I think that this is likely.
Don
Jerry
Jack
Mike
Lou
Bob
Joe

MrDonK! (aka Don Koepf, ComSoc Trustee)

No matter where you go, there you are.

February 09, 2010, 10:09:22 pm
Ok my card reader is pretty old, BUT my printer is less than a year old. I'll check into a new card reader. I do find it hard to believe all of you came up with the same answer.  Thanks
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 10:10:54 pm by Relic »

Relic (aka Mike Burton)

* February 13, 2010, 01:01:25 pm
My Sony computer was equiped with a slot to read Memory Sticks and worked well until I got another camera that used newer versions of Memory Sticks.  I was able to get an updated driver from Sony so that it now works with the new versions as well.  The new versions require an adapter as they are a different physical form.

February 14, 2010, 01:57:31 pm
I still haven't been able to access my sandisk 8 gig sd card. I have a new ASUS netbook with an SD slot that won't read it either. I read online that if you have a camera that reads these sdhc cards; you can reformat it and that might work. My camera won't read it.

Relic (aka Mike Burton)

* February 14, 2010, 05:25:51 pm
Relic,

Check and see if there's a firmware update for your card reader.  I understand that only HC SD readers can read SDHC.  Haven't verified that myself but the fact that your reader, printer, and camera ALL fail to read this card suggests that there is some incompatibility, or that the card is either physically/electrically defective or its formatting got buggered along the way. 

Frank

February 15, 2010, 07:21:57 pm
Relic,
It is possible that you just got a bad card. Sandisk is a very popular brand but that doesn't mean it isn't bad from the start.  Has it ever been used before?  I just sent you an email direct from my Juno account about how my ASUS works okay with XP reading both a 4 gb and a 16 gb in My Computer without any problem at all.

I will bring my netbook to the Internet sig meeting tomorrow night, Tues the 16th. If you are coming, bring the SD card with you.

Don

MrDonK! (aka Don Koepf, ComSoc Trustee)

No matter where you go, there you are.

February 17, 2010, 02:25:01 pm
Thanks to Don Koepf, I got my SD card reader to work on my network. He suggusted that on ASUS website there were some  bios updates. I checked and one was for the SD reader. Now I know my 8 gig  card is good.

Relic (aka Mike Burton)